"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop"
Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

June 30, 2011

I am writing

As of this morning, this picture really does depict where I am in my writing process: the beginning. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've been reading some 'how to' books lately that have made me re-think the whole writing process and the way in which I've written at least two of my long-term endeavours - novels that I've shelved at 50,000 words or more.

I remember writing my first novel. I had no idea what it was to craft a story, and it went a little like this: 'something happened, then this, and then, then, then, then and finally.' Although the imagination was ticking over, technical ability was zilch.

I did a lot of work on that novel, and it was good experience to write and play around with. I think the main thing I learned from that was discipline to sit down and write. I had structure to my writing process, of which there is a lot to be said.... oh, there we are at that dreaded thing we must do if we want to write..


Writing is heaven writing is hell, writing is work.

4 comments:

S.P. Sipal said...

I think the beginning is a fun place to be...all the new ideas, creating the characters. It's the middle where things get difficult. And like you said, it's a ton of work!

Good luck!

Allie Hammer said...

Lol. Absolutely right, and thank you. I hope to have learned some lessons from all the discarded papers of the past!

Nicole Basaraba said...

I'm also at the beginning stage. I started what I call "Writer's Uni-Verse-City" so that I can read craft books, write and learn from others.

We all take the long road together. :)

Happy Writing

Allie Hammer said...

Hey Nicole,

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love your style, it sounds as though you've got a great plan going.

It's a fab journey we writers make. Best of luck!

"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
Oscar Wilde

Letters from the Edge:

Letter (n). Symbol or character used to represent speech.
Written or printed communication, transmitted by mail.
Edge (n). Line or border, brink or verge.
Edge (v). to put an edge on or sharpen. To rough ( a piece being forged) so that the bulk is properly distributed for final forging.