Just as everyone has a love they find difficult to forget and move on from, I believe every writer has a first novel that stays with them long after the passion has been extinguished. Face it, the affair is over! But no, I know how to fix what was wrong all this time, give me five more years. Know the feeling? But can it be harmful to keep the previous project burning bright when the time comes to move on?
Thing is, some first novels deserve to stay hidden in the closet, happily to be forgotten in the mists of antiquity, others may have a spark about them, set to rekindle and are worth keeping, even if in the distance, at arms length, just in case. Just in case what, exactly?
My childhood reading consisted mainly of Doctor Who books. It's no wonder the first book I tried to write was science fiction. I wrote and re-wrote the same story for around five years, and if anyone thinks that's a long time, you haven't tried being a writer! The thing is, every time I re-wrote, I was re-dreaming the dream until it became a clear and focused land. Even though I had little technical knowledge, the place and setting became tangible, so much so, it's never really left my head, and if I ever dragged it from the closet, I could easily re-emerge myself in that creation. But I've moved on, I have a brand new story. I'm creating new characters, and I have the experience, tools, techniques to make this story a better place.
The question is when do you let go. How can you ignite your passion if you're still hankering after the past writerly-you. Do you have to let go completely to re-dream a different dream, live another character and love the new world you're creating for yourself?

4 comments:
Great questions to ponder, because we all face this. I've heard many writers say that their first book was something very personal, often their own life story set to fiction. Sometimes those work, but usually, as the writer is just starting, not always. But it's almost like a right-of-passage, you have to write that book first, you have to get it out of your system.
Of course, this is not true with everyone.
Yes. I think it can be difficult to let go of something if you've put so much time and invested so much energy into, but ultimately healthy.
I think you're right, you have to write it, and get it out of your system!
Thanks for stopping by. :)
It's always hard to know when to let go. I've let go of more than four novels now, and it certainly isn't easy! But I kept pushing and trying again, because I enjoyed the actual process.
I have to admit writing the first novel, was almost like taking a very long crash course in understanding the whole idea of producing drafts/refining/rewriting. Yes, I agree, it was fun. Too much fun, maybe! :)
Post a Comment