"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop"
Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

August 23, 2010

The Things They Carried

by Tim O'Brien

The Things They Carried is a collection of related stories about a platoon of American soldiers in the Vietnam War. It was originally published in hardcover in 1990. While apparently based on some of O'Brien's own experiences, the title page refers to the book as "a work of fiction."



[I’ll never die.] I’m skimming across the surface of my own history, moving fast, riding the melt beneath the blades, doing loops and spins, and when I take a high leap into the dark and come down thirty years later, I realize it is as Tim trying to save Timmy’s life with a story.

No comments:

"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
Oscar Wilde

Letters from the Edge:

Letter (n). Symbol or character used to represent speech.
Written or printed communication, transmitted by mail.
Edge (n). Line or border, brink or verge.
Edge (v). to put an edge on or sharpen. To rough ( a piece being forged) so that the bulk is properly distributed for final forging.